Social Media and me

Yeah.... so.. this fucking thing. Social Media.



And first..... all photos are screenshot from my instagram page, selfies only (except the memes), read on, and will maybe make a little sense....

It has me kinda split in a few different pieces.


1. It's fun, I enjoy it
2. It's dumb and time consuming
3. It's motivating and inspiring
4. It's always the same shit, and people are ignorant.


Yup, maybe I just think about it too much, and should just let it go, and do what I have been doing.



The thing is, back when there was this thing called Myspace, It felt like all of it made sense. It probably wasn't too different from what it is now, but it wasn't all advertising and influencers and bloggers and whatnot. I remember it as being a bit more straight forward. But I might be wrong. This is back when I started my first blog, in 2003 (or 2004 i don't remember) One I basically just used as a diary, and a place to share my thoughts.



Down the line I took a break from the blog, but picked it up again, when a blogger network, called Bloggers Delight was being born. They asked me to join, and I did. Quite quickly I felt like it was more about catering to the clients, or advertising companies, than it was about writing, and thats when I stopped completely. It felt forced, and It wasn't natural. In retrospect, I Probably should have stuck with it, and have made it a business, but whatever.


Facebook had taken over from Myspace (which actually still exists 😁, go check out my profile that is somehow still active 😆)
Facebook was fun in the beginning, keeping up with folks and sharing life easily. I at some point decided making my profile public, which resulted in it becoming something I basically only use to advertise my business, ask random people advise on random things, and remembering peoples birthdays.



I never use features like 'event's', and I've missed quite a few parties and such, because I never ever check that feature. I't annoys me that if you don't have a Facebook account, you're pretty much cut off from everything.... kids school, neighborhood updates, birthday parties, even politics and other meaningful stuff, is shared on Facebook first. We can agree that we all have a phone, and a phone number, and that no-one should have to have an account anywhere, just to keep up.


I've wanted to close down my Facebook account on more locations, but havn't.... which also annoys me. Why do I keep this shit.... oh right, peoples birthdays,.... also, now It's connected to Instagram, where I have business profiles, that requires that you have a facebook page, to be able to use their services. Stupid.



Ok this brings me to Instagram. By far my most favorite social media platform, and one that both brings entertainment, jobs, fun, inspiration and motivation. I'm a very visual person, and when I first started using instagram, It was a lot different. It was mainly for photography and other visual arts, but quickly turned to what it is now. Which is also cool, room for everybody. Here is my problem with it... or really it's not with instagram, Its with myself.



Sometimes I think about what Im actually doing there. I take a selfie, and as good as some of them might be, it's completely empty to me. Its only catering to my inner narcissist, and thats it. I'f I'm bored, or feel like I need a few more followers, I'll post a photo that I know will do just that for me. No doubt this is something I can do, because of the kind of followers that I have. Many who randomly follow hot tattooed babes for eye candy, and nothing else. And its fine, I have nothing against what, or why anyone do what they do on Instagram, this is just my reflections on what I do myself.


Posting a selfie, can be something thats fun, and just something I do because I can, and I'm in a good mood. But It can also be something I do, because I feel like I've been silent for too long, and I don't feel like posting a professional photo for the 10th time. Because to me, posting a selfie and posting a pro photo, are two very different things.


 People hating on my selfie, I don't care about that. I'm quite content and happy about myself, my person and my look. But when I post a professional photo, It's my work, It's something I care about in a different way, maybe because it says something about me. And being judged strictly on looks is shallow, whereas being judged on something you've created is more personal. Does that even make sense?



Anyways, Sometime I can go for days without posting anything. And often It's because I feel uninspired, and at those times, when I think about just posting a selfie, I have an inner voice telling me how lame it is. Taking a photo of myself, and showing it to everyone. It really is quite ridiculous... and yet I still do it... why.... Because sometimes it just feels good, to be showered in compliments, even from strangers. And sometimes when I see other profiles, where someone has 2 mill followers, and  nothing but, butt photos, or mirror selfie.... I'm both fascinated and rolling my eyes at the same time. I just can't seem to make up my mind, about how I actually feel about social media.



I know what I don't want... I know I don't want to be a advertising billboard profile for a number of companies.... hand bags, teatox whatever, I simply feel like it get's confusing for the followers, to determine if the profile is actually into whatever product, or if they're just payed bunches to promote it. Also, I've got followers, who have stuck with me for over 15 years, and I don't want them to feel like I'm suddenly not the honest and down to earth person I've always made an effort to be.




Oh I forgot the most imported thing about Social Media.... MEMES. Seriously, THIS is what brings us all together..... And what reassures me, I'm not the only weirdo in the world.












Comments

Popular Posts