Quick Six with Lars Frederiksen.

Whoop everyone..
As promised last week, Today I bring you 'The Quick Six' With none other than punk rock's favorite kid, Lars Frederiksen. Not so much a kid anymore, still punk to the bone.
Now at 46 years old, he is a father of two, soccer crazy and still raging on stage.



To those who might not know a lot about this Danish/American badass, he is bossing around on guitar and vocals, in the American Punk-Rock band Rancid. One of my absolute favorite bands from the early '90, (still going strong). Lars is also the frontman of both 'Lars Frederiksen and the bastards',  'The old firm casuals', and riffing for 'Stomper 98'.

Ill have to admit, that I didn't learn about Lars till early 2000, when I was backpacking in California, and K-Rock played Rancid on air. I was instantly convinced, and I remember how puzzled I was, that this band had gone completely under my radar for that long. I actually still havn't seen Rancid live, and it's right up there in the top 3 on my live bucket list.



Anyways, this was a time before Spotify, when one of the best smells in the world, was opening a new booklet from a cd cover, and taking in the smell of ink and passion. One of my favorite booklet cover photos ever, is the one from 'And out comes the wolves, with Lars sitting on some stairs, head between his legs. I just though, 'that hair is epic', he looks like a complete badass. 😄


When I learned Lars is a Danish descent, I couldn't help but, as dumb as it might sound' feel a bit proud. Like there was a random connection there... one he shares with me, and about 6 million other people. So special 😆



So I was learning about Rancid, and obviously it's members, and I was always fascinated by Lars looks. As punk-rock as it got. I'm pretty far from a punk-rock childhood myself, but this guys had been living this forever, and it showed. It still does, only the hair is not too crazy anymore 😅



Ok, I'm chatting away, but I'm going to just let you guys google the rest. Also, if you're looking for some great chill BBQ tunes for this summer, one of my albums on repeat is 'Rancid, 'Let the domino's fall, Acoustic version' Sooo damn good.

How does 40+ punk life Vs 20+ punk life differ?
1. 40+ hurts more but I’ve got a ton of stamina.

What is This to you 🇩🇰 ?
2. The motherland and the oldest flag in the world

What would life have looked like, had you been growing up in Denmark? Would you ever move here?
3. I lived there after my mom and dad got divorced back in the 70’s. I’d probably still be fluent in the language but it comes back if I’m immersed for 3-4 weeks. As far as what life would have looked like I’m not sure. Probably still have the Viking mentality tho😜
(Yup, you do)
Does any live show/moment stand out as particularly special or epic? 
4. Playing in Denmark for the first time was a special thing. It was in Aarhus if I remember correctly. I took the train the next morning to Silkeborg to see my MorFar for the last time. We had a good day. Seeing Motorhead over 100 times was something special too.
(Can't beat Lemmy and Morfar 💙)

What’s with the Rancid soccer shirts? 
5. I love the beautiful game and was taught it as a little guy by my Morfar. I had the idea of doing some shirts to celebrate Rancid and the World Cup
(Lars is rooting for Denmark on this years World Cup, just FYI)

Best way to pass the time is.....?
6. I love being a dad and spending time with my boys. Being with them is the best way to spend down time when I’m not on the road. 

*Bonus question. Have you ever had a proper smørrebrødsbord, or sønderjydsk kagebord? If not, this is an invitation.
7. I will take you up on that. Just tell me where and when and I’ll pack my bags!
(Crap, what did I get myself in to here 😂, give me 5-10 years to practice)
Sønderjydsk kagebord

Dansk smørrebrødsbord





Comments

Popular Posts